Posts Tagged ‘Golders Green’
- The Neo-Nazis who are proposing to hold a demonstration in Golders Green this coming Saturday have chosen well.
- The timing is good: we are approaching the three weeks, culminating in the 9th of Av, when we commemorate Jewish persecutions throughout the ages, and remind ourselves that our enemies are (unwitting) messengers of God from whose actions we need to learn something.
- And the content of the demonstration is good: they propose to burn copies of the Talmud and Israeli flags. The Talmud contains and represents the whole of Jewish ritual, and the land of Israel provides and represents Jewish physical security.
- On Saturday, as the Neo-Nazis burn the Talmud and the Flag, I will take this as an important reminder of the need to ensure that my Jewish belief is internal and self-reliant. It is about my personal relationship with God, based on Abraham’s teachings of recognising a single Creator and being inspired by that recognition to serve Him through kindness to others.
- It is easy to become too reliant on religious ritual for our spiritual habits, and to become too trusting in the State of Israel for our national physical security. The Neo-Nazis will remind us that both of these are fragile, and that neither of them is what matters.
- As the old liturgical poem has it: “I will build a sanctuary in my heart” – nobody can destroy that.